By Diane Boyce, Senior Business Manager at Hays Globalink
Australia remains one of the most popular destinations for emigration from the UK and Ireland, with many people securing interviews or even job offers before they relocate.
How? Our Hays Globalink team in London focuses solely on assisting skilled professionals to find their next role in Australia. Where possible, we secure interviews prior to your arrival in-country and help maneuver you into the strongest position to land the perfect role in your dream location.
If you are considering a career and lifestyle move down under, here are our top tips:
- Review your eligibility to emigrate through Australian Immigration (border.gov.au) or with a Registered MARA (Migration Agents Registration Authority) VISA agent. In most cases you need a VISA and you must be on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). The SOL shows you instantly whether your profession is in demand.
- Speak to a recruiting expert at Hays Globalink to discuss the current job market and decide which region of Australia is most suitable for your skills and experience. You can also review the Hays Quarterly Report of skills in demand for your industry at hays.com.au/report.
- Prior to applying for jobs, research areas; including the cost of living (numbeo.com) and if applicable, schools in your region of choice. This research is expected and allows you to then focus on the job itself in subsequent interviews. It also allows you to understand what a local salary truly means in that market. Don’t forget to contact the Hays team for a State Guide to your chosen location.
- Research typical salaries in our Hays Salary Guide (hays.com.au/salary-guide) so you understand your worth in the Australian market.
- Prepare thoroughly for interviews. Your Hays Globalink recruiting expert can assist you here with a full job description and information about an organisation’s offices, culture and environment, but of course you should also do your own research. “What do you know about our company” is a classic interview question you should prepare for, so read as much as you can about the organisation online. Don’t forget to also research any differences in legislation or regulation in your industry so that you know exactly how to adapt.
- Be excited! This is a huge decision and you will be filled with apprehension, but the right preparation will calm your nerves and help make your dream a reality.
Let your career take you to beautiful, bountiful Australia!
For more information and to speak to a recruiting expert, please call Diane and the team on 0203 465 0158 or email email@example.com