Australian skilled visas

australian visa

Here is a look at some of the skilled and business-based visa categories available, what they allow for and how to get one:

The Australian General Skilled Migration (GSM) programme is the most common route for people to take to move to Australia. The programme itself can be split into further categories but a successful applicant is usually allowed to live and work in Australia on a long term basis.

Skilled – Independent Visa (Subclass 189)

The 189 visa is intended for those with skills in need in Australia. A 189 visa holder should be capable of benefitting the Australian economy upon arrival. The different occupations Australia has a need for are listed on the routinely updated Skilled Occupations List (SOL) and include a variety of different occupations and industries.

To be eligible for a 189 visa, an applicant must be employed or qualified in a profession listed on the SOL, be aged under 50 and meet basic requirements. The requirements include relevant skills and experience and are determined by a points based test.

The 189 visa allows to the holder to remain in Australia permanently, living and working anywhere in the country.

Skilled – Sponsored Visa (Subclass 190)

Qualifying for the 190 visa involves similar requirements and offers similar benefits as the 189 subclass. However, in order to be eligible for the 190 subclass, applicants must be sponsored, either by an eligible relative already living in Australia, or by a state or territory government.

If an applicant is not sponsored by a relative, they may be obligated to live and work in the state or territory sponsoring them for a period of two years.

Skilled – Regional Sponsored Visa (Subclass 489)

A 489 visa requires the holder to live in a specified area of Australia for a period of three years, after which, they must either apply for permanent residency or leave the country.

Like the 190 subclass, a 489 visa also requires sponsorship from either a relative or state or territory government. However, if sponsored by a relative, they must reside in a designated area specified by the Australian government.

Business visas

The Australian government actively encourages successful business people and entrepreneurs to move to Australia in the hope they can develop new opportunities for Australian workers and boost the Australian economy.

The two main pathways for business people to move to Australia are:

Provisional Visa

The provisional visa is for business owners who may have (but don’t require) State or Territory sponsorship, senior executives and investors.

Each category constitutes its own individual visa with different privileges and conditions although all allow the holder to eventually apply for permanent residency after certain conditions have been met, which typically includes a period of four years.

Direct Permanent Residence

High calibre business migrants who receive sponsorship by a State or Territory government may be eligible for a Business Talent Visa which offers permanent residency to the holder. Typical requirements for a Business Talent Visa include having an ownership interest in a business with an annual turnover of at least AU$3 million.

To see other types of visas for Australia, visit this page

For further information visit our Ask the Experts section.

Download your free Australia Guide