Visas for Australia

Australian visasAustralian Visa Fees

There are many different types of Australian visa available to a British passport holder. Each one permits the holder to different things for varying amounts of time. Knowing which one is needed can be a confusing process.

For Skilled visas visit this page

Below is a look at some of the family and temporary visa categories available, what they allow for and how to get one:

Family visas

There are a number of different types of family visas available dependent on your relationship to the sponsor. The most common are:

Family and Spouse Visas

If a close family member or spouse is already an Australian citizen or permanent resident, an applicant may use this relation or spouse to apply for an Australian visa.

Partner and Spouse visa

This route applies to applicants who have a spouse, a fiancé (prospective spouse) or interdependent partner (e.g. same-sex partner) who is already an Australian citizen, permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen.

Child visa

Dependent children, orphaned relatives or adopted children of Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens can join their guardian or parent through this route.

Parent visa

If you have a child who is already an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen, you may be able to move to Australia.

Other family migration options

Australian citizens, permanent residents or eligible New Zealand citizens can bring other relatives to Australia depending on their relationships. These can include dependent aged relatives, remaining relatives or carers.

Working Holiday Visa

Australia’s working holiday programme allows citizens from eligible countries between the ages of 18 and 30 to live, work and study anywhere in Australia for a period of one year.

To be eligible, applicants must meet the age requirement, hold a valid passport and be able to prove they have access to sufficient funds to support themselves during their time in Australia.

Working holiday visa holders are permitted to work in any one single job for up to six months or study for three months.

By completing three months, or 88 days, of ‘specified’ work – typically fruit picking or similarly agricultural – in rural Australia, working holiday visa holders can extend their stay for a further year.

Visas for Holidays to Australia

There are several types of visa available for holidays to Australia. Again, which visa you should get depends on how long you want to go for and what you want to do while you’re there.

Electronic Travel Authority (ETA) visa

If you’re a British passport holder, you can apply for an ETA visa. ETA visas can be applied for quickly and easily online and they are often processed instantly.

An ETA visa is digitally linked to your passport and allows you to enter Australia multiple times during its 12-month validity period. An ETA visa holder is permitted to stay in Australia for three months on each visit.

ETA visa holders are not permitted to work during visits and every member of a family requires their own visa.

Long Stay Tourist Visa (Subclass 676)

A 676 visa allows the holder to remain in Australia for up to 12 months at a time as well as multiple, although like the ETA visa, the 676 also prohibits employment.

The 676 visa can be applied for online but the application process will typically take longer than the ETA and applicants may be required to submit extra documentation in support of their application.

For further information visit our Ask the Experts section.

Download your free Australia Guide